[MPlayer-users] Cannot play *.mp4 files?

Lugo lugoteehalt at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 18:47:43 CEST 2010

On 11 June, 15:37, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceho... at ag.or.at> wrote:
> Lugo <lugoteehalt <at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Installed libxv-dev like you said and recompiled #
> > DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="--enable-runtime-cpudetection" debian/rules
> > binary  .
>
> This is a build option that you certainly don't want (since you are not first
> one to use it, I wonder where it comes from).
The mplayer I used before (which was probably from debian-multimedia
but just might have been from Debian) always made a feature of it. So
included it.  But take it it is useful for distributions but not for
me.
> Additionally note that the only compilation method actually supported on this
> list is ./configure && make
Assume above method amounts to ./configure && make but just then turns
result into a .deb package file.  But don't know.
> > Incidentally also needed:  apt-get install libvdpau-dev  .  Using
> > nvidia proprietary drivers.
>
> If you have the Nvidia binary drivers installed, you do not need xv. (And I am
> really surprised that to compile and use them, libvdpau-dev is needed. I thought
> libvdpau-dev (as enable-runtime-cpudetection) is only useful for distributions.)

The compilation failed, but worked after libvdpau-dev was installed -
it was what it seemed to ask for.

Using the drivers you get from NVidia's site:  NVIDIA-Linux-
x86_64-195.36.24-pkg2.run or similar.  Lenny on my box will not use X
without them.

eric at fido:~$ lsmod | grep vidia
nvidiafb               39680  0
vgastate                7824  1 nvidiafb
nvidia               9622008  38
i2c_core               25424  12
tda9887,tda18271,tda8290,tda827x,nvidia,tda1004x,saa7134_dvb,tuner,saa7134,v4l2_common,tveeprom,i2c_nforce2

Thanks again.