[MPlayer-users] mp3 playing with mplayer without soundcard

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Fri Jun 11 17:58:31 CEST 2010

p.s.: Most people are used to read texts top-down, so please do not top-post.

> Than  have to update the task with mplayer,  it's
> -playing one sound without soundcard in command line

You can use something like

mplayer sound.mp3 -ao pcm:nowaveheader:file=stream.pcm

with stream.pcm being a fifo.

> -in real time, to be clear: 3 min mp3 file would play during 3 min not in
> one sec

If you have to, you can put a brake in the resulting stream like

cat stream.pcm | pv -L 176400

but please do not assume that will be directly playable, usually the
soundcard sets the playback speed. Therefore I can see no need to slow
down processing of the sound.

> -while playing modifying volume, equalizer, speed via input file option or
> other way
> -creating output wav or mp3 or similar to file or stdout

The above command should do that, but changing the speed while demanding
to play in real time makes no sense to me.

Greets,
Kiste