[MPlayer-users] Keyboard/mouse lockout with Mplayer

Bev bashley101 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 16:43:50 CEST 2010

On 06/10/10 02:04, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

> Bev<bashley101<at>  gmail.com>  writes:
>
>>  Accordingly I downloaded the latest snapshot and built that under kernel
>>  2.6.29.6 using gcc version 4.3.3. The build was successful but I am having
>>  problems running the resulting mplayer. I could run the older (pre7)
>>  version under console mode (no X) using something like 'mplayer movie.avi'
>>  and I would get a full screen picture, and the keys on my keyboard were
>>  enabled.
>>
>>  Using the new version of mplayer (mplayer-export-2010-06-06) I get a full
>>  screen picture, but my keyboard is disabled.
>
> I just tested fbdev, fbdev2, directfb (this needs -vf format=bgr16,scale - why?)
> and sdl on a console and in all cases, my keyboard still worked fine (vesa
> doesn't show anything for me).
>
> Which vo does pre7 use for you (and how does your .mplayer/config looks like)?

Thanks, Carl.  I've played around with different entries in my .mplayer/config
file.  Currently the file is empty.  When mplayer runs I don't know how to find
out what vo it chose.  For example, when I've lost keyboard control I have to
shut down from another machine and I'm left with a corrupted screen which
provides no information.

I'd like to find out HOW to determine what the vo is.  The program output is
not reliable.  In one case I got a message equialent to 'using vo gl:something'
or something like that.  After seeing that 'gl' line I then tried:

	mplayer -vo gl:something

but it came back 'that vo not supported'.  Even when 'mplayer -vo help' says a
vo is supported, it turns out it might not be :-(

--
Cheers, Bev