[MPlayer-users] mplayer has sync issues that xine does not have

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Tue Jun 8 09:48:52 CEST 2010

On 08.06.2010 09:23, Mike Castle wrote:
> MPlayer SVN-r31332-4.4.4 (C) 2000-2010 MPlayer Team
>

> When playing a certain DVD full of extras, mplayer is having sync
> issues right from the beginning.  It happens on most of the tracks on
> this disc.
>
> If I use -dumpstream and save to a vob, it still has the same problem.
>
> Using any other player on the vob works fine (xine, totem); xine also
> handles the DVD fine.
>
> If I use -sb 400000 against the vob, mplayer then plays fine.
>
> Some output from xine:
> av_offset=0 pts
> spu_offset=0 pts
> xine_play
> video discontinuity #2, type is 2, disc_off 11856
> waiting for audio discontinuity #2
> audio discontinuity #2, type is 2, disc_off 11856
> waiting for in_discontinuity update #2
> load_plugins: plugin spucc will be used for spu streamtype 02.
> load_plugins: plugin a/52 will be used for audio streamtype 00.
> audio_alsa_out:open pause_resume=0
> output sample rate 48000
> audio jump, diff=-84085
> audio_out: inserting 49690 0-frames to fill a gap of 93193 pts
> play_internal ...done
> video jump
> video_out: throwing away image with pts 81117 because it's too old
> (diff : 8822).
> video_out: throwing away image with pts 84120 because it's too old
> (diff : 5819).
> ao_flush (loop running: 1)
> input_cache: read calls: 26416, main input read calls: 3336
> input_cache: seek_calls: 71, main input seek calls: 8
>

> So, I understand the disc is pretty messed up, and I can work around
> the problem.
>
> Still, it would be nice if it worked automatically, rather than me
> having to figure out what the skip value should be on each track.  Any
> suggestions on how to achieve that?
>
> Thanks,
> mrc

Does this DVD have some additional chapters in the beginning? I noticed
something similar on some DVDs from Warner, which were split over two
discs. If the entire movie has e.g. 50 chapters, and the first part on
the first disc has 25 chapters, then the 2nd part on the 2nd disk still
has 50 chapters, but the first 25 chapters are all on the first second
or so. When playing the second disk directly from chapter 1, I have
major a/v-sync issues, which resolve themselves within around 30 seconds
or so, but playing the 2nd disk with -chapter 26 plays fine without any
a/v-differences.

--
cheers,
Alex