[MPlayer-users] Mailing a DVD to the MPlayer devs?

Frédéric Brière fbriere at fbriere.net
Wed Jun 2 22:02:46 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

I've got a few DVDs that exhibit some problems with MPlayer, but not
with Xine.  These problems still show up when copying the image to the
hard drive, so these are obviously MPlayer bugs, and not defects.
(They're not recent, at least a couple of months old, maybe more.  But
no more than 2-3 years old.)

I once tried debugging and bisecting MPlayer some time ago, and I
honestly don't care to repeat the experience.  (I never thought I'd ever
miss autotools, but I was proven wrong.)  Instead, could I simply mail a
DVD-R to the dev team, and let them investigate?  That would be much
more efficient, and would save me several therapy sessions.  <g>

For those interested, here are the bugs I'm seeing:

- On two DVDs, skipping forward/backward is quite slow.  Switching from
  chapter to chapter is still fast, and playing the DVD as one big file
  (instead of dvd://) does not show this problem.

- On the third DVD, only chapter 1 can be played initially with
  -chapter, although switching to other chapters once playing still
  works.

- The last DVD is the same, but switching chapters no longer works when
  playing with dvd://.  The remaining chapters can still be played with
  dvdnav://, and switching actually works in that case.

All these can be reproduced with the first gigabyte of each DVD, so I'll
gladly shove them all on a single DVD-R for someone to look at.  Just
let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

--
All the simple programs have been written.