[MPlayer-users] [MPlayer] stops streaming when satellite stream is blocked by heavy rain

Albert Scholtalbers compuvision.sr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 13:56:22 CEST 2010

Hi Reimar, thanks for the response.

>  Also it is hard to reproduce, I only know it the
> other way round that I can't quite MPlayer not even with SIGKILL (which
> makes
> it a kernel bug).

Hard to produce.... just stand in front of the dish and 99% sure you get the
effect.
Difficult to quite MPlayer, I use kill -hup PID and Mplayer stops always.

> Otherwise just start MPlayer via a script that restarts it each time it
> quits,
> using a new dumpfile if the previous has a significant size (or have
> MPlayer write
> to a fifo can append the fifo output always to the same file).

Is it also possible to append to a file instead of a fifo. And what is the
functional difference between a file and a fifo?

The best next steps seems to be to recompile MPlayer with debug enabled and
providing you with the output of that event. From my programmers experience
with sockets the solution seems very easy just lock to the stream with an
indefinite time-out in stead of a few seconds. But maybe I simplify the
"problem"

Albert