[MPlayer-users] TrueHD

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sat Jan 30 02:35:08 CET 2010

Rolf Ernst <rolf.ernst <at> silverlightning.org> writes:

> let me then ask this again: There are tons of references off the official
> mplayer sites to GUI builds which include the, of course, the mplayer build
> and they do not offer the source

Please point me to those.

> - are all these folks in violation?

Possibly.

> And if they are in violation, why would the mplayer team officially reference
> them.

If you mean we advertise for them, then you are correct, that is not a smart
idea...

> This makes no sense to me. Most if not all of the GUI players referenced
> from the official site include the AAC decoder, i.e. libfaac.

There is an AAC decoder (apart from libavcodec) that is called libfaad (note the
"d"). It is released under GPL and therefore compatible with MPlayer's software
license (and a fork is part of MPlayer's official source).
There is an AAC encoder (apart from the one in libavcodec) that is called
libfaac and that is only released under a proprietary license.
(So there is no grey area imo.)

Carl Eugen