[MPlayer-users] marquee feature request

Kovács Zoltán kovzol at particio.com
Wed Jan 6 20:00:03 CET 2010

Dear Oliver and Reimar,

First of all, thank you for your responses.

2010/1/6 Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>

> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 05:41:34PM +0100, Kovács Zoltán wrote:
> > Looped playlists are welcome to be supported as well, i.e. on restarting
> the
> > playlist the marquee should not be restarted. On starting the marquee the
> > scrolled text should come faded in and on stopping the marquee should be
> > faded out. If the background of the movie definitely changes, then the
> text
> > color of the marquee should be automatically tuned to the background
> color
> > of the movie (calculated by some kind of average of the appearing set of
> > colors). E.g. on white background black text should be displayed, but on
> > black background white text should go.
>
> This definitely needs to be specified more clearly, the average certainly
> would be a bad idea, also you completely missed to specify how the text
> colour should relate to the detected "background colour", in particular
> you don't want just the inverted colour, because that would give gray
> writing on a gray background and pink on a green background (*shudder*).
> And what if the background colour changes right in the middle or you have a
> checkerboard pattern?
> Usually the solution is to use white text with a black border or to overlay
> a partially transparent white bar and use black text.

This is also an acceptable solution for me.

> You also did not say whether it must be rendered on the video frames, can
> be a separate overlay or whatever. In the later case just overlaying a
> partially
> transparent window without giving it any relation to MPlayer could be a
> simpler
> solution.

I also have an application which is capable for something like that, except
that a solid background is used instead of transparency. It is written in
python-gtk, using one of the demos as an example. But I did not think it is
possible to define a partially transparent window. Is it possible under X?

> > My suggested syntax is as follows:
> >
> > --marqueefile [file]         The name of the text file which contains the
> > marquee
> > --marqueefont [font]         The X11 or trutype name of the used font
> > --marquefontscale [percent]  Scaling ratio for the used font
> > --marqueemovies [list]       Comma separated list of the movies which
> must
> > be captioned using marquee
> > --marqueespeed [percent]     Speed of the marquee
> > --marqueypos [ypos]          Vertical position of the marquee
> >
> > More marquees should be supported for a given run. For my purpose there
> > should be 2 marquees: one for bottom and one for top. The different
> marquees
> > could be defined using multiple parameters. For example:
> >
> > mplayer -geometry 640x480 -playlist playlist.txt -loop 0\
> >  --marqueefile marquee1.txt --marqueefont "-dejavu-dejavu
> > sans-bold-r-condensed-*-30-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-2" \
> >  --marqueefontscale 100 --marqueemovies 1,2,3,6,7,8 --marqueespeed 50
> > --marqueeypos 0\
> >  --marqueefile marquee2.txt --marqueefont "-dejavu-dejavu
> > sans-bold-r-condensed-*-40-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-2" \
> >  --marqueefontscale 100 --marqueemovies 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 --marqueespeed
> 100
> > --marqueeypos 440
>
> Not unless you want to rewrite all argument parsing for no gain.
> First, if you insist on the background detection you need to have access to
> the image anyway, so a video filter would be a better option and you the
> should use options for the video filter instead of spamming the global
> option list, avoiding also the other issues with your suggested syntax:
> - MPlayer does not use -- options, it only uses -, this introduces
> inconsistency
>  for no gain
> - If you put the marquee options in a config file there is no way to
> disable that from the
>  commandline, since additional marquee options will only add a new one.
> - above is the reason why an option given twice will override the previous
>  value, not do something else (ok, I admit -vf-add is an exception).
>
> Uh, and no I am not volunteering to implement anything (paid or not).

No problem. Thanks for your kind suggestions! ;-)

Yours, Zoltan