[MPlayer-users] marquee feature request

Kovács Zoltán kovzol at particio.com
Tue Jan 5 17:41:34 CET 2010

Dear Developers,

First of all: thanks for this wonderful application. I use it for many
purposes with success.

As far as I know mplayer now supports only subtitles for movies, not
marquees, what I need for a special application.

I mean 'marquee' as a special text scrolling, given in a text file. This
marquee should be scrolled at given movies while playling a full playlist.
Looped playlists are welcome to be supported as well, i.e. on restarting the
playlist the marquee should not be restarted. On starting the marquee the
scrolled text should come faded in and on stopping the marquee should be
faded out. If the background of the movie definitely changes, then the text
color of the marquee should be automatically tuned to the background color
of the movie (calculated by some kind of average of the appearing set of
colors). E.g. on white background black text should be displayed, but on
black background white text should go.

My suggested syntax is as follows:

--marqueefile [file]         The name of the text file which contains the
marquee
--marqueefont [font]         The X11 or trutype name of the used font
--marquefontscale [percent]  Scaling ratio for the used font
--marqueemovies [list]       Comma separated list of the movies which must
be captioned using marquee
--marqueespeed [percent]     Speed of the marquee
--marqueypos [ypos]          Vertical position of the marquee

More marquees should be supported for a given run. For my purpose there
should be 2 marquees: one for bottom and one for top. The different marquees
could be defined using multiple parameters. For example:

mplayer -geometry 640x480 -playlist playlist.txt -loop 0\
 --marqueefile marquee1.txt --marqueefont "-dejavu-dejavu
sans-bold-r-condensed-*-30-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-2" \
 --marqueefontscale 100 --marqueemovies 1,2,3,6,7,8 --marqueespeed 50
--marqueeypos 0\
 --marqueefile marquee2.txt --marqueefont "-dejavu-dejavu
sans-bold-r-condensed-*-40-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-2" \
 --marqueefontscale 100 --marqueemovies 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 --marqueespeed 100
--marqueeypos 440

My plan is to hire a programmer to implement this feature. Probably the best
place for hiring is the mplayer-users list. If any of you finds this new
feature interesting to implement, please contact me. Of course, I would like
to pay for the implementation. Please provide a range for programming cost
if you are interested in this programming task.

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,
Zoltan Kovacs
general manager