[MPlayer-users] Frame interpolation

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Jan 2 17:51:26 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 04:35:43PM -0000, Phil Rhodes wrote:
> > Are there any plans for mplayer to do frame interpolation to negate
> > 24p judder?
>
> There was a time when everyone wanted 24p cameras to look more like "the
> movies".
>
> By which I mean to say: you want to interpolate back up to a higher frame
> rate? Blech, what a horrible idea. You might as well go ahead and watch it
> in 4:3 crop with mono audio, in black and white, while you're at it, just to
> ensure the experience is as damaged as possible.

Well, people's opinions and tastes differ...
However I guess that many of the multimedia developers would find the
artefacts too horrible to actually want that feature, so it is quite
unlikely to happen.
Also due to performance it seems more likely to me that this kind of
feature might become available through hardware acceleration e.g.
via VDPAU or VA-API, but I have no particular reason to believe that
will really happen.