[MPlayer-users] Frame drops and skips with mencoder

Marton Balint cus at fazekas.hu
Sat Feb 6 04:33:12 CET 2010

Hi,

I am using my TV card's (Leadtek Winfast Expert 2000) composite input to
record the output of my VTR, the sound is connected to the line-in of my
sound chip (integrated Realtek ALC889A), so I record the sound from alsa.
My problem is that I get lots of frame skips and also lots of duplicate
frame messages during the video capture. I made some tests, and it seems
that the audio skew compensation is causing this, for a copule of frames
it overcompensates the skew, than finds it's way back to the original
state, and this cause a copule of frame duplicates, and then roughly the
same amount of frame skips.

Redefining MAX_SKEW_DELTA in stream/tvi_v4l2.c to 0.04 fixes the problem,
but is that really the proper way to fix this bug?

I am using this command line by the way:

/usr/bin/mencoder tv:// -tv \
alsa:adevice=hw.0,0:amode=1:input=1:normid=3:norm=PAL -oac mp3lame -ovc \
lavc -o test.avi

Regards,
   Marton