[MPlayer-users] mencoder parameters for iPod

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Thu Feb 4 23:36:32 CET 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Rolf Ernst wrote:

> -mc 0 -af volnorm -vf scale=320:-2,expand=:240:::,crop=320:240,harddup
> -srate 44100 -ofps 25 -oac faac -faacopts br=160:mpeg=4:object=2 -ovc x264
> -ffourcc H264 -x264encopts
> bitrate=512:level_idc=13:nocabac:no8x8dct:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:subq=6:trellis=0

Thanks. Had to rebuild mencoder with faac and x264, though I had playback
support in mplayer already.

Transcoded with those parameters, my clip plays in mplayer but doesn't
work on the iPod. At least, I can't seem to add it to the library in
iTunes on XP - it has no thumbnail, and when I select it and click "open"
it doesn't appear in the library. I may just have done something stupid -
I copied various files earlier which play in iTunes but not on the iPod
itself. Including one movie trailer from a website that said it had files
for iPods.

The player is I believe a 5th generation 8Gb iPod Nano (with camera).
I tried gtkpod to try and load directly from Linux, but AFAIK that only
supports as far as the 4th generation. I think Apple may have changed the
database from iTunesDB to iTunesCDB, and gtkpod/gnupod fail to load it.

(I also tried the thinliquidfilm converterin Python, which uses FFMpeg
but totally fails to understand any of my movies. I guess I am missing stuff)

Andrew