[MPlayer-users] 1st that, now this... come on

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Feb 4 20:16:51 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 04:08:35PM +0200, Makc wrote:
> I already wrote about issues with last mplayer
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2010-January/078801.html
> and here's list of people who care:

No, nobody replied. I looked at it, but MPlayer does not have a font
parser for ttf, it uses truetype and fontconfig. In addition you
are using a build with I think patched fontconfig.
While I simply forgot to answer, writing to the (in more than one way)
wrong place and ending the mail with such a demanding tone as
"for you to fix your font parser" is not likely to help.

> MPlayer Sherpya-SVN-r29355-4.5.0 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team

There's a over 1000 revisions newer version version here:
http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
For testing you can also try this, though not recommend for
regular use, it has known issues:
http://natsuki.mplayerhq.hu/~reimar/mplayer-i586.exe

> MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: decode_video
> ID_SIGNAL=11
> - MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
>   Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
>   disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
> - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
>   It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
>   gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
>   DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
>   won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
>
> P.s. do you really expect users to recompile? No thanks.

If you know a way to have software magically fix itself we'd welcome it.
_Someone_ will have to do above steps in order to fix it, not because we
like to torture users but because that's how reality works.
If it's a common issue you can expect someone else to do it, if it's an
issue only you have, the only alternative is to just hope for it to fix it
by itself (for which you actually have a good chance, since and experimental
compiler was used so it's no surprise there are bugs).