[MPlayer-users] CPU usage overhead for 3D video playback?

Michal Zatloukal myxal.mxl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 09:55:27 CET 2010

Hi there.

I recently stumbled upon some 3D videos and while my C2D-powered laptop
plays 720p H.264 on one core with ease, a less-than-VGA 3D video
(original  side-by-side stream is 1200x480) brings it to its knees, so I'd
like to check if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is to be expected,
or if the graphics drivers are crap.
The video is here> http://www.stereomaker.net/sample/disney.zip It's a
parallel-eyed, full color stereoscopic video which I'm trying to render
into red-cyan anaglyph (either color or gray) by running:
mplayer -vf stereo3d=sbsl:arcg -vo gl disney.avi
While playing the video without the filter, mplayer's CPU usage hovers
around 13% (overall, ie. 26% of one core). Using the filter, CPU usage
shoots up to 50% overall and video plays significantly slower than audio
and I get the "YOUR SYSTEM IS SLOW" message. This is on Intel GM965,
driver version 2.13.901, mplayer version 1.0~rc4+git20101220

Michal Zatloukal