[MPlayer-users] Error while playing animated gif file recently

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Sun Dec 26 05:36:29 CET 2010

Blessy M <blessam <at> gmail.com> writes:
> That might be a fix. But can you tell me why am I getting this error? It is
> odd to me that it was working fine till now, and now having difficulty
> playing this file.
> > > *Playing movietowatch.gif
> > > libavformat file format detected.
> > > [mp3 @ 0xa5c880]Could not find codec parameters (Audio: mp1, 32 kb/s)
> > > LAVF_header: av_find_stream_info() failed
> > > Exiting... (End of file)*

you probably want mplayer -demuxer gif file.gif
you can put this in a profile (if your mplayer version has profile support)
at the end of your config add:

[extension.gif]
demuxer=gif

you are getting that error because the gif demuxer isnt seeing a gif file there
and so lavf tries, but the lavf mp3 probe is too strong so it thinks its an mp3
file...