[MPlayer-users] mencoder compile fails

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Thu Aug 26 12:12:02 CEST 2010

Le nonidi 9 fructidor, an CCXVIII, Lobster a écrit :
> Sorry about that, It was the default mode my mail client was working in,
> Have now reconfigured.

Thanks.

>> I wonder if it would not be better, from a communication point of view, to
>> make configure fail with a clear error message if a few key features.
> If anything configure should supply a decent warning, but there are
> times people don't want or need freetype or other
> dependencies.
>
> I myself couldn't care less about subtitles or osd, and most of the
> machines I use MPlayer on don't even have X or monitors attached.
>
> So just keep in mind, because you think not having some thing cripples
> MPlayer, it does not mean others feel the same way.

Of course. While I was testing configure, I forgot to add the end of my
sentence:

... fail with a clear error message if a few key features... are disabled
due to autodetection.

My idea, without much thought, is to have some sort of --check-features
option, with a sane default value (xv,alsa,ass on Linux for example), and if
these features are disabled at the end of configure, configure fails.

(It is important that it fails, since it is difficult for automated scripts
to parse warnings.)

People who want to build MPlayer for unusual uses can just add
--check-features=fbdev,oss.

Anyway, that is just a thought in the spur of the moment.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George