[MPlayer-users] Fwd: cuda acceleration?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Mon Aug 2 21:08:12 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 11:49:04AM -0700, Scott Doty wrote:
> I understand the need for a pointer to another list, but I'm not sure
> why I shouldn't post about the possibility of using GPU's on ffmpeg-users.
>
> Indeed, it would seem there may be those who are trying to circumscribe
> a discussion that hasn't happened yet, stifling potential innovation.

First, as said there should be work-in-progress for x264.
But apart from that the idea itself feels like it has come up what feels like
a few hundred times, and I'd say NVidia marketing has made sure almost
everybody has had that idea.
If you have something significant more to add, like _proper_ test that show
a GPU-based encoder to actual work well or an in-depth analysis on which
operations are likely to work that might be welcome.
However even then there's still the point that encoders are implemented in
FFmpeg and x264, so we simply have nothing to do with this anyway.
In general, otherwise I kindly remind you that developers are not fond of
suggestions based on nothing but marketing statements twisted by bad media
reporting and incomplete understanding into pure lies.