[MPlayer-users] Fwd: cuda acceleration?

Scott Doty cr-mplayer at ponzo.net
Mon Aug 2 20:49:04 CEST 2010

On 08/02/2010 07:20 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Scott Doty <cr-mplayer <at> ponzo.net> writes:
>

>> Okay, so is this just hype?  ::
>>
>> http://www.mediacoderhq.com/cuda/
>>
> What is the problem you are trying to solve?

As I said before, in answer to Mr. Hoyos' question:  It's not a problem
to be solved, but an attempt to boost performance by exploiting modern
GPU's.

I didn't realize mencoder was no longer supported.  Thus, a pointer to
another list for a supported FOSS encoder would make good sense...thus,
the following:

> (I do not recommend to repeat your post on ffmpeg-users, but I just found this
> roundup issue - http://roundup.ffmpeg.org/issue184 - that is very old and is not
> very clear formulated.)

I understand the need for a pointer to another list, but I'm not sure
why I shouldn't post about the possibility of using GPU's on ffmpeg-users.

Indeed, it would seem there may be those who are trying to circumscribe
a discussion that hasn't happened yet, stifling potential innovation.

Anyway, I can see folks here are happy with the status quo re: mencoder
-- I'll bow out of this discussion, please have a pleasant week. :)

 -Scott