[MPlayer-users] Forcing other framerates

"Ing. Daniel Rozsnyó" daniel at rozsnyo.com
Mon Apr 26 07:56:46 CEST 2010

meino.cramer at gmx.de wrote:
> RC <cooleyr at gmail.com> [10-04-25 20:00]:
>> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:32:40 +0200
>> meino.cramer at gmx.de wrote:
>>
>>>  I bought a new LCD monitor with 60Hz framerate.
>>>  When playing videos sometimes I git a distortet
>>>  screen (not only with mplayer!!!). I think, it
>>>  is because the video plays at 50Hz framerate
>>>  which then interferes with the 60Hz refresh rate
>>>  of the monitor.
>> LCDs effectively do not have a refresh rate (or a "framerate").

LCD has a refresh rate! It refreshes the picture from top to bottom,
just the "memory effect" of the screen is much bigger than on CRT. The
LCD is effectively a visible dynamic memory (DRAM).

>> You've not described what this "distortet screen" problem is, so nobody
>> can possibly help.
>>

>> --
>> Ha. I'm the idiot.
>>

> If LCDs have no framerate or refresh rate, they will not draw
> frames from top to bottom? How then?
>
> A try for a better explanation:
> Certain videos (for example the Neo<->Smith fight sceen in Matrix
> Revoluitions) with fast changing lightning conditions expose some
> screen distortions.
>
> They are of two kind:
> The upper half of the screen is still in "bright condition"
> when the lower half is in "dark condition" -- what comes first
> and where this "break" is, depends. Also varying is the position
> of this "break" on the screen.

That is a missing vertical synchronization - what -vo are you using? On
what video card and which drivers? Usually on dualhead the vsync is hard
to get..

Daniel