[MPlayer-users] Digitizing VHS tapes with mencoder

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 19:32:08 CEST 2010

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:24:38 +0200
Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:

> I'd rather not reduce quality. Maybe there's a way to encode lossless?

MJPEG is a already lossy codec, so reencoding to a lossless codec would
make the file much LARGER, not smaller.

> AFAIK, the above command stores every frame as a full mjpeg picture.
> So simply convert them to P/I-frame sequences without further encoding
> techniques should save some space without reducing quality. Any hints?

Nobody has come up with a scheme for MJPEG P-frames.  Anyone that needs
them uses MPEG-2, and even there, there's no software for lossless
modifications to the video that I'm aware of.

> Then there's the problem that -ss option don't work if combined with
> the -forceidx option.

Never seen it.  Could have something to do with the ODML headers.   I
would look at the MPlayer output for clues.  Maybe some other file
format would work better.  Or you might just want to use -edl instead.

--
Ha. I'm the idiot.