[MPlayer-users] Digitizing VHS tapes with mencoder

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 02:43:40 CEST 2010

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:32:56 +0200
Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:

> But this results in bad aspect ratio.

This is quite vague.

> The next resolution with proper aspect and both axes multiples of 16
> would be 704x528. But that would mean to throw away about 16% of the
> pixels. I'd rather not throw away _that_ much.

No amount of cropping will EVER change your aspect ratio...  You can
scale up/down the height/width, you can add black bars, or you can set
an aspect ratio in the file.

x264 should pickup the current aspect ratio, adjust for crop/scale and
put that in the file.  Examine the output to determine why it is not...
You should be able to change the aspect x264 chooses by providing
different values to -vf dsize while encoding.

--
Ha. I'm the idiot.