[MPlayer-users] Update file length or duration

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Apr 19 13:29:44 CEST 2010

arnaud tonda <arnaud.tonda <at> gmail.com> writes:

> i read some  mpeg streams provided from a dvb tuner card. these streams are
> saved has .mpeg, and playing them is not the problem.
>
> i play them in slave mode, and the length, and pos returned by MPlayer, are
> wrong (ANS_length, ANS_time_pos) because these are not upated in live, and
> have the value at start of play. I would like to know if it's possible to
> force MPlayer updating these values.

Assuming "saved as mpeg" means that you are dumping the transport stream from
DVB into a file, mplayer will show the "presentation time stamp" (pts) from the
transport stream as current position (which is not what you want). You have to
remux your stream into mpeg (an mpeg program stream) to change this behaviour.

If you already did remux the transport stream into an mpeg file (a program
stream) and mplayer does not show correct length and position, this would be a
bug and complete, uncut output of MPlayer (and probably a sample) are needed.

To remux, use either ProjectX (and mplex) or
ffmpeg -i yourfile -acodec copy -vcodec copy test.mpg

If we are talking about H264, remuxing is currently difficult.

Carl Eugen