[MPlayer-users] Digitizing VHS tapes with mencoder

RC cooleyr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 06:30:49 CEST 2010

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:55:38 +0200
Josef Wolf <jw at raven.inka.de> wrote:

> BTW: I've seen various resolution recommendations for PAL varying from
>      384x288 to 768x576. What is the correct setting?

VHS has full vertical resolution (576), but a bit less than half the
possible horizontal res (~384).  Additionally, you're going to need to
crop some of that to eliminate black borders and edge noise, but make
sure you maintain dimentions divisible by 16, and if you're cropping the
vertical while interlaced, you will require multiples of 32...

That should reduce your bitrate requirements dramatically.

--
Ha. I'm the idiot.