[MPlayer-users] Digitizing VHS tapes with mencoder

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Wed Apr 7 13:17:42 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 06:49:14PM -0700, Ken Bass wrote:

> I typically capture via hardware mjpeg (my card does the compression), and
> encode via lavc to mpeg4. After re-indexing, I run the video through
> mencoder for finer processing, using a two or more pass encoding.

Glad you mentioned this. Turns out that my card also has a hardware mjpeg
decoder, I guess the quality will be better with this decoder than with
software-decoder?

But with the hardware-decoder, it records 704x576 (full size PAL), and
all the people are too tall =:-().

I am really, really confused by all those different resolutions. Anybody out
there to recommend how properly handle this resolution thing?