[MPlayer-users] Is this mplayer bug or FFmpeg video codec bug?

Chin Shi Hong cshong87 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 14:46:48 CEST 2010

Dear All,

Are the following the bug of mplayer or FFmpeg codecs?

I am using SMPlayer 0.6.9.

There are no problem if I use rv40win codec on Windows or rv3040 codec on
Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) to play the HD 16:9 based RMVB file. But, if I use the
open sourced codec ffrv40 (FFmpeg rv40) to play the same file. Different
problems occur on both Windows and Ubuntu Linux.

When using rv40win or rv3040 codec, the file was played in fully 16:9 even
if the Aspect ratio set to 'auto'.

The original RMVB video file is based on 16:9. On Ubuntu Linux, when using
FFmpeg rv40 to play the file, there are some "black area" on the right side
which make the video look like 4:3. You can see the screenshot here:
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab103/cshong/SMplayer.png

Then, on Windows, when using FFmpeg rv40 to play the file, the file was
played in 4:3 if the Aspect ratio set to 'auto'.

So, I wonder is this the bug of mplayer, or the bug of FFmpeg video codec?

If it is FFmpeg video codec's bug, which version does mplayer use?