[MPlayer-users] Creating Thumbnails of Videos

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Mon Sep 21 12:36:04 CEST 2009

> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 11:52:09AM +0200, Oliver Seitz wrote:
>> > Hi, I'm using MPlayer to automatically create thumbnails from a video.
>> > can successfully create thumbnails, but I cannot figure out a way to
>> > identify the orientation of the video.
>>
>> So some of your videos are, say, 640x480, while others are 480x640? Or
>> are
>> they always 640x480 and the camera was held sideways when recording? In
>> this second case it's quite simple: It can't be done.
>
> Not completely true, the mov file _can_ contain such information.
> You'll still have to find some way to extract it yourself, neither
> MPlayer nor FFmpeg support it so far.

Oh, thank you, didn't know that. It seems though that users may upload
videos of which those thumnails are to be created. I would in that case
provide four checkboxes to the uploader to indicate the bottom side of the
video. I think that would be the most reliable information on that matter
you can get.

Greets,
Kiste