[MPlayer-users] sample format big endian AC3 not yet supported - SOLVED!!!

Paul Green paulandrewgreen_au at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 18 03:04:17 CEST 2009

This has been bugging me for a while - I get the following error:

mplayer dvd://1

---snip----

Forced audio codec: hwdts
Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3/DTS pass-through S/PDIF
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
hwac3: switched to DTS, 1536000 bps, 48000 Hz
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, ac3, 1536.0 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 192000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [hwdts] afm: hwac3 (DTS through S/PDIF)
[format] Sample format big-endian AC3 not yet supported
Error at audio filter chain pre-init!

Exiting... (Fatal error)

---snip----

I know this used to work and I've not changed any of the components of mplayer, so why
doesn't it still work????

The answer is that I'd added the following line to the file ~/.mplayer/config

af=volnorm=2

It seems that if you add an audio filter with a hardware codec, then you're not going to get
the result you're looking for.

Try renaming your .mplayer/config file and retrying the command with all the required
options on the command line.  If it works that's the problem.

I'm posting this because I searched for weeks to resolve this issue and even an upgrade of
my OS to the latest didn't work  (surprise!).

I hope this is helpful to someone!