[MPlayer-users] Binding XF86_xyz special keys in input.conf

Johannes Bauer dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de
Thu Nov 12 21:26:33 CET 2009

Hello list,

why is it possible with mplayer (Gentoo, SVN-r29463-4.1.2) to only bind
the four special XF86-keys

XF86_NEXT
XF86_PAUSE
XF86_PREV
XF86_STOP

when there are at least

XF86AudioLowerVolume
XF86AudioMedia
XF86AudioMute
XF86AudioNext
XF86AudioPause
XF86AudioPlay
XF86AudioPrev
XF86AudioRaiseVolume
XF86AudioStop
XF86Back
XF86Battery
XF86Calculator
XF86_ClearGrab
XF86Display
XF86Eject
XF86Favorites
XF86Forward
XF86KbdBrightnessDown
XF86KbdBrightnessUp
XF86KbdLightOnOff
XF86Mail
XF86MyComputer
XF86_Next_VMode
XF86PowerOff
XF86_Prev_VMode
XF86Reload
XF86Search
XF86Sleep
XF86Standby
XF86Stop
XF86_Switch_VT_1
XF86_Switch_VT_10
XF86_Switch_VT_11
XF86_Switch_VT_12
XF86_Switch_VT_2
XF86_Switch_VT_3
XF86_Switch_VT_4
XF86_Switch_VT_5
XF86_Switch_VT_6
XF86_Switch_VT_7
XF86_Switch_VT_8
XF86_Switch_VT_9
XF86_Ungrab
XF86WakeUp
XF86WLAN
XF86WWW

All of these available? I have a IR keyboard which sends those special
commands and I'd really like to bind them directly in mplayer to
actions. Currently I remap them in .xmodmaprc, which is a kind of ugly
solution (for example, I want to bind XF86Back to "Quit"), but currently
have to remap it to "q". Why does mplayer not support the other
keybindings directly? I've seen the patch enabling the four special keys
and I could send in one which would enable all the others (it seemed to
be pretty straightforward), would that be included or is there a reason
for not including those?

Regards,
Johannes