[MPlayer-users] why do subtitles disappear when using -vo png ? [dup?]

Matthias Lang matthias at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 11 11:19:07 CET 2009

Hi,

mplayer displays subtitles from a .srt file just fine when I watch a
film, however when I use the 'png' output, the subtitles disappear.

Is that expected? (why?)

Using this command line, I can see the subtitles:

   > mplayer -sub subtitle.srt film.avi
   (screen capture in file screencapture_mplayer_vo_x11.jpg, see url
   below)

But if I do this instead

   > mplayer -sub subtitle.srt film.avi -vo png

then none of the 25 png files have a subtitle in them.

I've tried several recent snapshots, including:

      MPlayer SVN-r29857-4.3.4 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
and   MPlayer SVN-r29891-snapshot-4.3.4 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team

If anyone wants to reproduce the above, I've put a zip file containing
film.avi and subtitle.srt and a screenshot at

   http://www.corelatus.com/~matthias/mplayer_no_subtitles.zip

(Originally, I was trying to 'burn' subtitles into the video stream,
using

  mencoder -sub subtitle.srt -o with_subtitles.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc
  film.avi

but I couldn't get that to work, i.e. my subtitles kept disappearing, so
I tried to do something really simple and get mplayer to dump out video
frame-by-frame, but I couldn't get that to work either, hence this
mail.)

Matt