[MPlayer-users] DVDNAV problem: subtitles

Dâniel Fraga fragabr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 22:20:10 CET 2009

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 10:19:56 +0100
Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

> The subtitle<->language mapping is broken with dvdnav, thus it can't
> work.
> However this issue only exists because your DVD has "holes", i.e.
> subtitle 0 does not exist, but 1 does, two does not exist but 3 does
> etc.
> I do not have any such DVD, so I can't test it and I don't know libdvdnav
> well enough to know what I am doing, but please test what attached patch
> changes (preferably with output again like for the others).
> Note that selecting subtitles from the menu I think is just a not
> implemented feature, and I'm not going to implement it (I don't even
> use that feature with my hardware DVD players :-) ).

	Ok, no problem it doens't work from menu as long as it respect
the -slang option or at least I can select through remote... (-slang
would be better, although).

	Ok, just for comparison, using Kaffeine I get 8 subtitles:

1) en
2) en
3) ?? (pt)
4) ?? (pt)
5) blank (en)
6) blank (en)
7) blank (pt)
8) blank (pt)

	All these subtitles work in Kaffeine, although I understand
there's no need to show them all, unless, as you said, some are for 4:3
and another for 16:9 and even that it will be needed just 4, not 8
subtitles (unless they make subtitles for panscan, which I doubt).
Anyway...

	...I tested with the patch you provided. Now I have in Mplayer:

1) dvd://

	Everything fine. The correct subtitle is shown. And just for
curiosity there are 8 subtitles available from 0 to 7, just like
Kaffeine, although not all will show something... someone are just
"holes" as you said.

2) dvdnav://

	The chosen subtitle (-slang pt) is not shown. So I have to
select it.

	And I noticed there're just 4 subtitles, which is nice, because
it is the correct number (we don't need repetition like "8 subtitles").
But they are shown in the wrong order:

0) en <--- correct
1) pt <--- wrong: it should be english (it displays english sub)
2) en <--- wrong: it should be portuguese (it displays portuguese sub)
3) pt <--- correct

	So if you reorder putting 0 and 2 first, then 1 and 3 after, it
will be correct.

	Ps: all this testing was done on the dvd "Revolutionary Road".
I'm only testing on this, so we can isolate what happens on this dvd.
After we fix it, then I can test on others (I have lots of dvds here),
but I think we're near the solution.

	Ps2: results attached.

--
Linux 2.6.31: Man-Eating Seals of Antiquity