[MPlayer-users] DVDNAV problem: subtitles

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Fri Nov 6 14:48:20 CET 2009

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 02:59:34AM -0200, Dâniel Fraga wrote:
>> 	The solution is to make dvdnav:// to be more like dvd:// :).
>
> I have been working on that, however I do not see where the difference
> lies, since for my DVDs dvdnav and dvd behave the same.
> It looks like the issue should be in libdvdnav, but that should mean
> that e.g. VLC would have the same issue unless there are still more
> patches not yet merged back.
>
>> 	PS: and something that would be really usefull, although not
>> related to this issue, is to change the audio OSD to be more
>> descriptive. For example, today it will show:
>>
>> Audio: (128) en
>> Audio: (129) pt
>> Audio: (130) en
>>
>> 	although it could show:
>>
>> Audio: ac3 (5.1) language: en aid: 128.
>> Audio: ac3 (5.1) language: pt aid: 129.
>> Audio: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 130.
>>
>> 	or at least some hint of the "stereo" or "5.1" audio... but if
>> it's too much work, no problem.
>
> I'd have to read up on it, but I think that is just not possible at
> that point. The language info comes from the ifo, whereas the channel
> number basically must be determined by the decoder.
> I suspect that this is so in general, because my hardware DVD player can
> show the channel layout also only for the audio stream currently
> playing.

I think what he means is that it should display the information of the
current track, not all available... the same as for your hardware dvd
player.

Currently, when pressing '#', in the OSD it shows '(130) en' or
something like it, while it would be nicer to have '(130) 5.1 DD en',
which AFAIK is known to the current process.

BTW, and somewhat off topic: is it possible for the program to determine
if a stereo (two channel) audio track has a surround flag set or not? I
remember in the olden days, the audio-part of the output printed
something like
========
Opening audio decoder: [ac3] ....
..
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2ch (stereo), s16le, 128kbit yada yada yada

or

AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2ch (dolby), s16le, 128kbit yada yada yada
======

but this behavior has gone away. I used it back then to fill with it my
DVD database with the correct track information (hence also my
cropdetect-patch with the measured aspect ratio), and nowadays I'm stuck
at believing the back side of the DVD case.

it could display something like
(n) 5.1 DD <lang> for 5.1 Dolby, or '5.1 AC3 <lang>'
(n) 5.1 dts <lang> for 5.1 dts
(n) 2.0 DD <lang> for 2.0 stereo
(n) 2.0 DS <lang> for dolby surround

is there a way to detect if 5.1 Dolby Surround EX is present in a track
(that with an optional rear center channel matrixed into the both rear
channels)? And also for dts-es, where there can be either 6.1 channels
or 5.1 also with a matrixed rear center channel?

One thing I also miss is the default display of the number of available
chapters. Initially, number of titles, chapters for this title and
angles for this title were displayed, but now only number of titles and
angles for this title are displayed (ok, for DVDNAV this is a different
story altogether, b/c no number of titles is displayed at all)

--
cheers,
Alex