[MPlayer-users] DVDNAV problem: subtitles

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Nov 3 09:13:38 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 10:32:40PM -0200, Dâniel Fraga wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 22:15:43 +0100
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> > What are those side-effects?
>
> 	I don't remember very well now, but it seems the OSD got
> compromised using this workaround. Wrong OSD numbers, counting etc.
>
> > I haven't seen enough interest here to make it worth working on
> > this instead of something else.
>
> 	I will give my oppinion: I think that if you do a software, you
> need to have interest in all aspects of it. If there's a bug, it must
> be corrected. If you just fix what many people complain, then many bugs
> will be unfixed forever...

Look, the thing is I have rather few DVDs, so I just can't know sure
enough whether a change will break more than it fixes.
Thus I can't really "fix" much if anything if nobody bothers to give
much feedback here.

> 	If I were a developer, I would had corrected this for a long
> time ago. Unfortunately I know very little of C and I know nothing
> about the internal code of MPlayer...

While admittedly developers for MPlayer are lacking, people testing
things are almost as important and lacking, particularly since I am
really bad at it.

> 	Ps: anyway, even if nobody cares about this bug in dvdnav,
> let's hope the same bug doesn't appear in "bluraynav".

Unlikely, the dvdnav issues are probably mostly due to there being
some confusion on how subtitles should be numbered, with the solution
being more or less using both number schemes. Unfortunately the code
handling this is spread far and wide and there's usually some part
I just don't know about and thus don't fix, which breaks things
in an new way each time I change something.