[MPlayer-users] how to "step backforward" ?

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Thu May 28 00:12:49 CEST 2009

> You'll need dual-gig ethernet to get it in your machine if it's in your
> network ?

Often it's done over fiberchannel SANs, or just off big SATA raids
internally. The video standard for transporting it down coax is HD-SDI.

> Didn't know that people were working with this kind of stuff. I lately
> saw a docu how BBC's workflow looks and there they weren't doing that
> kind of stuff. Edited 'lower then 1080p streams' in MPEG2 format which
> then became the basis for the high-def encoding.

Not often! There are a few applications that use MPEG-2, but all kinds of
codecs are used in film and TV postproduction. It's not terribly uncommon
for HD to be postproduced as uncompressed, even if it was captured on a
compressed tape format. Sometimes it's recorded like this on film sets to
disk arrays.

Ironically, mplayer doesn't tend to support the codecs used to put
uncompressed data in AVIs, because they're often 10-bit (r210 for 4:4:4 RGB
and v210 for 4:2:2 YUV).

But we're wandering off topic.