[MPlayer-users] how to "step backforward" ?

Oliver Seitz info at vtnd.de
Mon May 25 14:26:17 CEST 2009

>  There are some video players on Windows
> claiming they have such function
> and it seems some users are pretty satisfied with it... Though I doubt
> they can really "go back one frame"....
> maybe they just go back for a very short time...

I'm not sure what the "usual" players do when they claim to be stepping
"one frame backwards", but there is certainly software that actually can
do that! But it's more likely to be called "video editing software" and
not "video player". Examples are VirtualDub (Windows) or Kino (Linux/BSD).

When I last used VirtualDub, which was quite some time ago, stepping
backwards took some time, and that time was longer the further back the
last intra-frame was. So it seems to me to be sure that it was not
computing inter-frames backwards but decoding all the frames from the last
intra-frame forward. By holding the "back"-key down for a few seconds you
could easily keep VirtualDub busy for several minutes stepping back frame
after frame...

Greets,
Kiste