[MPlayer-users] Wish: improved vobsub support

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Wed May 20 20:51:13 CEST 2009

I know this falls under "Patches Welcome", but one area where I think
Mplayer/Mencoder has been seriously neglected if in Vobsub support.

Vobsubs still only work in semi-transparent greyscale, and Mplayer's
ability to display something readable in the case of no palette info
(ie, playing directly from a vob file without the idx/ifo) is hit or
miss at best.  This is one area where Mplayer has fallen far behind
other projects (such as Xine and vlc.).  Now normally, I wouldn't really
care, but as far as I know, Mencoder is the only tool I have to create
good quality hardsubbed videos.  (even just the ability to use -vobsub
option with mencoder to so I can use an idx file would be a big help)