[MPlayer-users] Configure severely broken on IRIX

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu May 7 12:36:41 CEST 2009

On 05/06/2009 05:49 PM, Matthew Saunier wrote:

> IRIX is a BSD UNIX, so it's sh is ksh88. 6.0 and up are compliant
> with SVR4, UNIX95, and POSIX as of 1999. Autoconf generated configure
> scripts have no problem working under these conditions, so if you're
> going to have a hand-coded configure it must be more resilient.

There's nothing wrong with that. I am not saying that your problem is
invalid, or that it won't be fixed; I'm simply reporting the situation
as I understand it.

> Also, MIPSpro is THE compiler on IRIX. Apps that do compile under GCC
> on IRIX tend to run much slower, and are harder to debug since ProDev
> expects MIPSpro to be present.

I'm not entirely sure what your point is; I didn't try to say anything
to defend a position of "GCC or nothing"...

> I've attached the output of your configure, do what you want, but if
> one mainstream but slightly old commercial UNIX is having issues,
> there will be other platforms that have issues as well.

I don't see anything obviously wrong in that configure output, but
then, configure's output isn't especially helpful in diagnosing
problems; configure.log is more useful there.

Regardless, I didn't ask for more information to be posted here; the
primary point of my post was to say "you sent the patch to the wrong
mailing list", and to warn you of some of the problems you might
encounter in trying to get your patch accepted even once you resubmit it
to the correct place.

Also, please don't top-post, or you will get much less respect and
people will be much less willing to deal with you around here.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.