[MPlayer-users] running mplayer on Amazon EC2

missivestoadrian-vxml at yahoo.com missivestoadrian-vxml at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 20:10:09 CEST 2009

Hi:

I was wondering if anybody had any sucess streaming audio with mplayer on EC2? When I've tried it, I get choppy audio that doesn't happen when I stream from other machines.  I've tried it on both an Amazon standard instance and a 'High-CPU Medium Instance' (http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/).  The virtual machines on my instances  are not loaded down, but he CPU steal time is quit high - near 50%(precent CPU used by XEN to service other virtual machines). I'm using Fedora8.

Anyway, the test comand I'm using is below:

MU="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/confcall/streetevents/SIG=131tgurfo/*http%3a//web.servicebureau.net/conf/meta?i=1113094921&c=2343&m=was&u=/w_ccbn.xsl&date_ticker=MU"

mplayer  -nocache -srate 16000 -playlist ${MU} -ao pcm:file=tmp.wav -vo null -vc null

Kindly,

adrian