[MPlayer-users] adapter option with gl2 output on windows

Morris Beverly morrisb at avpresentations.com
Tue Mar 31 15:03:20 CEST 2009

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 08:13:58PM -0400, Morris Beverly wrote:
>
>> Reimar Döffinger wrote:

>>> ?? According to the Microsoft documentation, with independent displays only
>>> the primary one is handled by the window manager, so I can't see how
>>> -adapter would be able to move the window to a different screen.
>>>

> Sorry, but you are completely confusing. You said you are using
> independent displays, but now you talk about "desktop space", then you
> talk about moving windows to those displays, but the documentation very
> clearly says that it is _absolutely_ _impossible_ to move _any_ window
> ever on a independent display

I'm sorry Reimar, I guess I should start over with a better explanation
of my setup.

I'm on windows xp, using 2 nVidia 8800GT graphics cards, with 2 monitors
attached to each.  My first monitor is 1600x1200, on which I run my
control software (in java), and the others are used for display (ie the
3 separate videos I want to play, one on each monitor), ultimately being
connected to video projectors.

Since my first monitor is larger than the rest, I can't (or at least I
don't think I can) use nvidia TwinView, or whatever they call it, to
"span" the 2 monitors on one card into a single "virtual monitor", for
lack of a better term.  I instead use the nvidia control panel to set
all 4 monitors up as independant displays.  Then, in windows, I extend
my desktop onto each monitor.  This is done by right clicking the
desktop, choosing properties and then settings to get to the windows
display setup tab and clicking the "extend my windows desktop onto this
monitor".

I've been doing this sort of setup for quite a while on different
machines and haven't run into any issues with other apps or my own
programs, that I've been aware of, although of course the problem may
simply never have manifested itself in this way.  While I believe that
the directx driver will allow me to position the mplayer windows
anywhere in "windows desktop space", I'm not in the office today and
can't really re-confirm this on my setup.

This setup works well for me overall on my other projects, but I'm
willing to change it if you think it will resolve my positioning problem.

Finally, my ultimate goal is to be able to start 3 different mplayer
instances, on monitor number 2, 3 and 4.  A secondary goal is to be able
to have an mplayer window spread across 2 or more monitors in certain
situations.  Note that I can do all of this by starting the instances of
mplayer and then dragging them to where I want (if I use the gl2
driver), but I can't create them in place, which is what I need to do.
It's certainly possible that I'm making this more difficult than it is.
Any advice on reaching this goal is greatly appreciated.

thank you for your help,

morris

--

Morris Beverly