[MPlayer-users] no display of VOB subtitle streams

Steve Dibb beandog at gentoo.org
Mon Mar 30 21:36:11 CEST 2009

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 01:14:08PM -0600, Steve Dibb wrote:
>> Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> [...]
>>> The "Default flag" thing indicates that whoever created that file wanted
>>> the subtitles to be on by default, so MPlayer behaves right in principle.
>> That's interesting.  Using mkvinfo (mkvtoolnix-2.6.0), there are
>> actually two flags: default and forced.
> [...]
>> The default makes sense for the audio tracks, since it uses the first
>> one by default.  But the subs aren't flagged as forced.
>
> The video and audio tracks are not forced either, so unless you want to claim
> that they should not be played by default either this does not contradict what
> I said...

No, of course not .. it's just that I don't see how the demuxer thinks
the subtitles should be forced.

In the case of two audio tracks, one being flagged as default and one
not, it's picking the default one.  That's obviously normal.

But I don't see how "default" translates to "forced" for subtitles.  It
seems like, in the case of subs, the default would just be the first one
  *if* you wanted to display them.

Look what happens when I extract all the tracks and re-mux them, adding
the subs in there twice:

$ mkvextract tracks matroska+h264+mp3+dvdsub+reddwarf-vobsub.mkv 4:subs
$ cp subs.idx subs2.idx; cp subs.sub subs2.sub
$ mkvmerge -o two_substreams.mkv video audio1 audio2 subs.idx subs2.idx
$ mkvinfo two_substreams.mkv | egrep -i "track|flag"

|+ Segment tracks
| + A track
|  + Track number: 1
|  + Track UID: 2261513354
|  + Track type: video
|  + Default flag: 1
|  + Forced flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 0
|  + Default duration: 40.000ms (25.000 fps for a video track)
|  + Video track
| + A track
|  + Track number: 2
|  + Track UID: 2911437025
|  + Track type: audio
|  + Default flag: 1
|  + Forced flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 1
|  + Default duration: 24.000ms (41.667 fps for a video track)
|  + Audio track
| + A track
|  + Track number: 3
|  + Track UID: 2937002524
|  + Track type: audio
|  + Default flag: 0
|  + Forced flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 1
|  + Default duration: 24.000ms (41.667 fps for a video track)
|  + Audio track
| + A track
|  + Track number: 4
|  + Track UID: 3110386518
|  + Track type: subtitles
|  + Default flag: 1
|  + Forced flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 0
| + A track
|  + Track number: 5
|  + Track UID: 2972738674
|  + Track type: subtitles
|  + Default flag: 0
|  + Forced flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 0

It's the same scenario as the audio tracks -- the default would be the
first one.

Steve