[MPlayer-users] no display of VOB subtitle streams

Steve Dibb beandog at gentoo.org
Mon Mar 30 21:14:08 CEST 2009

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:08:29AM -0600, Steve Dibb wrote:
>> This is slightly related, and forgive me for trying to get this one in
>> there, but it's also an old subtitle bug that's been hanging around for
>> awhile ... matroska videos with VOBSUB will automatically display the
>> subtitles regardless of user config.  You have to hit 'j' on the
>> keyboard to get them to go away.
>>
>> Found a sample in archives that does it:
>> http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/archive/all/matroska%2bh264%2bmp3%2bdvdsub%2breddwarf-vobsub.mkv
>
> Well, as the -v output writes:
> [mkv] | + a track...
> [mkv] |  + Track number: 4
> [mkv] |  + Track type: Subtitle
> [mkv] |  + Default flag: 1
> [mkv] |  + Codec ID: S_VOBSUB
> [mkv] |  + CodecPrivate, length 167
> [mkv] |  + Language: cze
> [mkv] |  + Name: Czech subtitles
>
> The "Default flag" thing indicates that whoever created that file wanted
> the subtitles to be on by default, so MPlayer behaves right in principle.

That's interesting.  Using mkvinfo (mkvtoolnix-2.6.0), there are
actually two flags: default and forced.

$ mkvinfo matroska+h264+mp3+dvdsub+reddwarf-vobsub.mkv | egrep -i
"flag|track"

|+ Segment tracks
| + A track
|  + Track number: 1
|  + Track UID: 2217685624
|  + Track type: video
|  + Default flag: 1
|  + Forced flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 0
|  + Default duration: 40.000ms (25.000 fps for a video track)
|  + Video track
| + A track
|  + Track number: 2
|  + Track UID: 1783337576
|  + Track type: audio
|  + Default flag: 1
|  + Forced flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 1
|  + Default duration: 24.000ms (41.667 fps for a video track)
|  + Audio track
| + A track
|  + Track number: 3
|  + Track UID: 946769490
|  + Track type: audio
|  + Default flag: 0
|  + Forced flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 1
|  + Default duration: 24.000ms (41.667 fps for a video track)
|  + Audio track
| + A track
|  + Track number: 4
|  + Track UID: 626808340
|  + Track type: subtitles
|  + Default flag: 1
|  + Forced flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 0

The default makes sense for the audio tracks, since it uses the first
one by default.  But the subs aren't flagged as forced.

Steve