[MPlayer-users] Playing a strange format MP4/H.264/4HKH from security camera

Steve Fosdick lists at pelvoux.nildram.co.uk
Sat Mar 28 19:50:25 CET 2009

I have a small number of video files from a CCTV security system which
mplayer does not play.

When the CCTV system copies the files onto CD it gives them a .mp4
extension but it seems this is not correct.  The instruction book says
the video codec in use is H.264.  Looking at the file with a hex editor
the first four characters are 4HKH.

I am wondering if the files are H.264 but embedded in a proprietary
encapsulation that saves other information.  If so I am looking for
ideas of how to reverse engineer this or strip it off.

Does an H.264 stream start with a recognisable sequence that I could
search for.  Any other ideas how I could approach this?

Regards,
Steve.