[MPlayer-users] <vo_direct3d>Allocating offscreen surface failed

David Bolen db3l.net at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 20:55:45 CET 2009

Greg Bryant <bryantgtx at gmail.com> writes:

> I moved the windows mplayer off my dev machine (where it works) and onto a
> machine I use to watch videos now, but it didn't play.
>
> <vo_direct3d>Allocating offscreen surface failed.

What sort of notable differences video-wise are there between the two
machines?

If you're using a current SVN version, the offscreen surface is now
initially allocated at the full display size rather than just the playing
video size, so perhaps the problem machine has a very high resolution on
its display, but can't support allocating a surface that large?

You'll probably have to tweak the vo_direct3d code to pass through the
actual Windows error from the CreateOffscreenPlainSurface call to have
a better idea of what is failing on the target system.

-- David