[MPlayer-users] mplayer + svga compiled without helper module support

dave at unrealize.co.uk dave at unrealize.co.uk
Wed Mar 18 12:30:49 CET 2009

Hi, due to some problems with the svgalib_helper module and the recent
kernels Slackware -current now has svgalib compiled without needing helper
module support. I did some tests to see if there was a performance hit but
when running mplayer -vo svga I get the following error:

/usr/bin/mplayer -vo svga test.mpg
MPlayer dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.2.4 (C) 2000-2008 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Celeron 2/Pentium III Coppermine,Geyserville (Family: 6, Model:
8, Stepping: 6)
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.

Playing test.mpg.
MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO:  MPEG2  480x480  (aspect 2)  29.970 fps  2520.0 kbps (315.0
kbyte/s)
svgalib: Cannot open /dev/mem
Are you running this program as root or suid-root?

I then chmoded a+rw /dev/mem and rerun mplayer but the same error occurs.
It does work as root, but am I to understand that mplayer must be run as
root for /dev/mem support? Is this normal?