[MPlayer-users] two question about sound in mplayer

peng shao shallpion at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 08:39:15 CET 2009

Hi everyone. I have the following two questions which I could not solve for
a long time. So I post them here and wish someone can kindly help me on
them:

1. I have several .mkv movie files which have three sound tracks
[mkv] Track ID 1: video (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC), -vid 0
[mkv] Track ID 2: audio (A_FLAC) "FLAC", -aid 0, -alang eng
[mkv] Track ID 3: audio (A_AC3) "640k dd51", -aid 1, -alang chi
[mkv] Track ID 4: audio (A_AC3) "640k dd51", -aid 2, -alang chk

the sound track 3 and 4 work pretty well. But when I was trying to open the
file with
mplayer xx.mkv -aid 0
I met the problem:

Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 6 ch, s16le, 0.0 kbit/0.00% (ratio: 0->576000)
Selected audio codec: [ffflac] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg FLAC audio)
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Device or resource busy
Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound

I am using Gentoo system and my mplayer can play music fiiles in flac format
without any problem.
I installed mplayer through svn several weeks ago so there is no problem
with the version of it.
So what am I supposed to do? Thank you.

2. What is the function of the option "normalize sound" in gmplayer/mplayer?
I am just curious about it..

Thank you for your concern.

Peng