[MPlayer-users] mencoder illegal instruction

Wolfgang Breyha wbreyha at gmx.net
Tue Mar 10 16:23:58 CET 2009

Reimar Döffinger wrote, on 10.03.2009 14:45:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 01:43:42PM +0100, Wolfgang Breyha wrote:
>> x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 Cache64
>
>> (gdb) disass $pc-32 $pc+32
>> Dump of assembler code from 0x6355e9b to 0x6355edb:
>> 0x06355e9b:	add    %ebx,%edx
>> 0x06355e9d:	sub    $0x4,%eax
>> 0x06355ea0:	jge    0x6355e14
>> 0x06355ea6:	shr    %edx
>> 0x06355ea8:	add    $0x8,%edx
>> 0x06355eab:	and    $0xfffffff0,%edx
>> 0x06355eae:	mov    0x78(%esp),%eax
>> 0x06355eb2:	xor    %ebx,%ebx
>> 0x06355eb4:	xor    %esi,%esi
>> 0x06355eb6:	call   0x6353830
>> 0x06355ebb:	pabsw  %mm3,%mm1
>> 0x06355ebf:	pabsw  %mm4,%mm5
>> 0x06355ec3:	pabsw  %mm2,%mm7
>
> x264 obviously uses SSSE3
>
>> Program terminated with signal 4, Illegal instruction.
>
> And obviously either your CPU or kernel don't seem to support it.

Both do, but thanks to your response I found a bad coincidence of "illegal
instruction" and VMWare migrating this host with VMotion. Exactly after the
migration mencoder crashes. Since our cluster uses only identical CPUs (Xeon
5160) we'll open a case with vmware.

Thanks for your help,
Wolfgang Breyha
--
Wolfgang Breyha <wbreyha at gmx.net> | http://www.blafasel.at/
Vienna University Computer Center | Austria