[MPlayer-users] gmplayer osd

mike mhardy_mail at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 09:23:36 CET 2009

--- On Sun, 2/22/09, mike <mhardy_mail at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: mike <mhardy_mail at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] gmplayer osd
> To: "MPlayer usage questions, feature requests, bug reports" <mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
> Date: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 2:50 PM
> --- On Sun, 2/22/09, Reimar Döffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
>
> > From: Reimar Döffinger
> <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>
> > Subject: Re: [MPlayer-users] gmplayer osd
> > To: mhardy_mail at yahoo.com, "MPlayer usage
> questions, feature requests, bug reports"
> <mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu>
> > Date: Sunday, February 22, 2009, 1:17 PM
> file
> > available?
> > >
> > > I might not be able to.  these are instructional
> > > poker videos and both the drm-crippled and
> > > drm-free videos were paid for and even if I strip
> > > out audio and sent only the first 10-15m their
> > > producers probably wouldn't appreciate it.
> > >
> > > so I will have to hunt around on the web for a
> > > video of mostly static/powerpoint-type stuff to
> > > see if it too exhibits this problem.
> >
> > Try this one:
> >
> http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/asf-wmv/low_fps/cheaterlow.wmv
>
> ok this video causes the osd skipping; curiously both
> mplayer and
> gmplayer suffer the same way.  I reran my (osd failing)
> poker
> vid with both mplayer and gmplayer and contrary to op they
> both suffer identically from the halting/leaping osd (I
> will
> have to recompile the mplayer snapshot to see if I
> mistakenly
> only saw mplayer behaving differently there).
>
> wrt this vid, osd timer (and video) start at 6s, leaps to
> 8s, then
> again leaps to 11s then again to 14s (i.e., osd timer does
> not
> display "7s" or "10s", etc.); this
> appears to sync with the changing
> text screens.
>
> at ~25s the timer seems to keep moving as there is motion
> but
> on cmd line I see a pile of "Invalid frame duration
> value
> (23.436/23.436 => -0.000). Defaulting to 0.067
> sec."; don't know if
> this is important.
>
> as long as there's motion osd seems ok but again at 46s
> (text on
> screen/vid frozen) it stalls then leaps to 48s when text
> goes away
> (the "Invalid..." is not printed during these two
> seconds).

does anyone have any idea what's going wrong here?  or rather how to
fix it?  is this happening to anyone else?

I have retried using both gmplayer and mplayer and so far both have
acted identically (contrary to op where I thought it was only happening
with gmplayer).  I've used 4 different revs going back ~18 months up to
a source check out of the latest I could find at mplayer's site.

I've tried all kinds of combos of options in gmplayer prefs and nothing
seems to help.

I ran gnome-mplayer and it has its own "x:xx/y:yy" display in a status
bar that for a definite problem video never once skips a beat; when I
use its prefs to turn on "on screen display level" (what looks just like
mplayer's own osd), curiously while gnome-mplayer's own time displays
perfectly every second, the osd acts just as wacky as it does in g/mplayer
alone, halting and then leaping forward all the time.  iow I have two
timer displays on at the same time, in one program, and only
gnome-mplayer's works.

anyway, this is kind of a big deal for me so if it's only happening to me,
does anyone have ideas why?

or is there some way besides -harddup I can run these through mencoder
to 'fix' them without exploding the filesize?