[MPlayer-users] playing dvd from nfs mounted dvd

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Jun 18 18:17:46 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 02:55:40AM +0200, Heine Laursen wrote:
> exportfs: duplicated export entries:
> exportfs:       192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0:/dev/hdc
> exportfs:       192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0:/dev/hdc
>
> Note /dev/cdrom is a symlink to hdc.
> hdc is a dvd drive (actually dvd burner)
>
> client side:
> mount 192.168.0.3:/dev/cdrom /mnt/nfs/
> mount.nfs: Stale NFS file handle
>
> mount 192.168.0.3:/dev/hdc /mnt/nfs/
> mount.nfs: Stale NFS file handle

Huh? I don't think you can export a single file via NFS (and /dev/hdc is a single
file), you'd have to export the whole /dev (not a good idea for a final solution
and you still might have some problems with permissions).
If that works, you can e.g. create a new directory like /exporteddev/ and only
create a device file for the CD (with mknod).
In addition to that you will probably have to read up on how NFS treats device
files when they are exported, you don't want it do deny access to them, you do
not want them to be exported as device files (then you'd try to access some local
drive instead of the one on the server, ls -l will show that), you'd want it it
be stupid and behave as if it didn't know that such a thing as device files exist.