[MPlayer-users] Mplayer on Vista: http handling problem

Barb Sterling bsterling at cardinalpeak.com
Wed Jun 17 00:14:43 CEST 2009

I have run into an issue running mplayer (Sherpya-SVN-429280-4.5.0) on Vista.

If, from a terminal window on the Vista machine I run
mplayer c:\inetpub\wwwroot\movie.mp4

The movie plays great.

If, I run
mplayer http://VistaIISSserverAddr/movie.mp4
or
mplayer http://localhost/movie.mp4

It takes minutes for the movie to start playing, but it does eventually start
playing.  (The movie file is about 30 MB.  If I use a smaller file the delay is less.)
I get an occasional error message prior to the playback starting indicating that
the connection has timed out.

If, from an XP machine running the same mplayer executable, I run
mplayer http://VistaIISServerAddr/movie.mp4

The playback starts almost immediately, there appears to be some progressive down loading happening behind the scenes.  Works great.

Also if I put movie.mp4 on the IIS server on my XP machine and access it locally,
(mplayer http://localhost/movie.mp4), it works fine.

Has anyone else run into this behavior?  If so, what did you do to fix it?

Thank you.