[MPlayer-users] Can anyone confirm this? (Desync when encoding with yadif=1)

Alexander Shaduri ashaduri at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 20:07:17 CEST 2009

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:52:44 +0200
Ilja Sekler <ilja_sekler_ at gmx.de> wrote:

> > 1. There's a visible junk at the start of the video.
>
> Can't confirm this.

You can usually see it by hitting pause right after starting mplayer.
Another option would be to encode with a bigger delay (2 seconds,
for example), then it becomes apparent.
Actually, the junk picture may be different depending on the source
material, so I'm not sure it's always visible. Try taking a video which
doesn't start with solid color frames.

> > 3. I don't know the exact value to specify, and I don't want to end
> > up with broken files (I'm mostly encoding the music concerts, so the
> > exact sync is highly desired).
>
> The 150ms you mentioned have proved to be the correct adjustment for the
> perfect sync on a variety of interlaced mpeg2 files here.

Did you arrive to that conclusion experimentally (with a naked eye or some
measurement techniques), or by looking at the source code?
And, is that with PAL or NTSC fps and does it matter?
(I only have PAL DVDs here to test it on).

Thanks for taking time to do this.
Alexander