[MPlayer-users] playing dvd from nfs mounted dvd

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Jun 5 12:47:28 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 02:44:51AM +0200, Heine Laursen wrote:
> Hi. Is it possebll to play a dvd disk from a dvd drive mounted over nfs?
> This is the result I'm getting when I try:
> mplayer -dvd-device /mnt/nfs/ dvd://1
> MPlayer dev-SVN-r29170mplayer: could not connect to socket
> mplayer: No such file or directory
> Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
> control.
>
> Playing dvd://1.
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.10 for DVD access
> libdvdread: Attempting to use device 192.168.0.3:/cdrom mounted on
> /mnt/nfs for CSS authentication
> libdvdread: Could not open 192.168.0.3:/cdrom with libdvdcss.
> libdvdread: Can't open 192.168.0.3:/cdrom for reading
> libdvdread: Device 192.168.0.3:/cdrom inaccessible, CSS authentication
> not available.
[...]
> My nfs mount options is simpley (ro)
> Any suggestion as how to get this to work?

Not possible like this, CSS decryption is only available for image files
since there needs to be a UDF filesystem.
You might be able to either use a fuse driver that does the CSS
decryption on the server side or you make /dev/dvd directly available
via NFS.
The latter solution should be no problem at all in theory (no ioctls are
necessary) but last time I tried things like that someone had added
completely useless code that made using devices files just like normal
files impossible for no good reason at all (that was in sshfs though I
think, not NFS).